Recent advances in 3D modelling are now bringing high end, gaming quality graphics to the construction and infrastructure industries. By utilising gaming industry processors such as those used in the PS3 or Xbox, we are now able to simulate construction sequencing and methodology in a near perfect reflection of reality. This technology is now able to be used by the RCP Programming and Scheduling team, to produce real time animations of construction sequencing, linking high quality 3D models to the fourth dimension, time, by way of the construction programme software.
“The 4D software that RCP uses enables a step by step visualisation of the building construction sequence to be linked to specific activities on the construction programme to provide a “real time” image of the intended progress of works on site at any stage of the programme.” Neal Taylor, Director, Programming Division
The added benefit of the high tech system used by RCP is that it is entirely scaleable and allows you to tailor the quality of the output to suit your budget and intended audience. It is also has the ability to be continually developed and embellished throughout the project lifecycle, and ultimately be used by the marketing team within their sales brochures and video animations. One model, with multiple uses throughout the entire project lifecycle.
Other uses for the technology include;
- Delay analysis – planned v actual visualisation
- Progress reporting imagery
- Stakeholder management – allows stakeholders to visualize the project more easily
- Risk management – consider construction risks using real time images
- Construction sequencing – check, review and carry out ‘what if’ scenarios
- Marketing material – capture stills for brochures or utilize real time animations